Sweet & Spicy Roasted Carrot Recipe
We all love our meat but we need some tasty side dishes to balance out the meal.
These Cast Iron Roasted Carrots are a fantastic side that you can roast on the grill or in the oven right along with the main dish.
When carrots are roasted then become sweet and develop a beautiful caramelized exterior.
Brushing the Roasted Carrots with honey and hot sauce really takes this dish over the top.
Just like brushing ribs with sauce, this glaze gives the carrots that little something to make this dish complete.
Cast Iron Cooking and Care
Cast Iron is the perfect vessel to both cook and serve bbq side dishes because it absorbs heat well providing an even cooking surface.
To clean and season your cast iron rinse with hot water and brush clean, no soap is required.
If you have a really messy pan fill the skillet ½ way with water and bring to a simmer. This should loosen up any stuck on food so you can scrape it off easily.
Pour off the water and wipe out with a towel. Pour about 2 tsp of oil in the dry skillet. Coat the inside of the skillet with oil using a paper towel and then heat one medium heat for about 5-10 minutes then turn off and let cool completely.
This will season the pan over time and create a nonstick finish on the surface as well as prevent rust or discoloration.
Cast Iron will literally last generations if properly cared for. I still use my grandmother's cast iron skillets from the early 1900’s and they look as good as new.
Cast Iron Roasted Carrot Recipe
- 2 pounds Large Carrots, Peeled and stem removed
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 6 cloves Garlic
- ½ Bunch Scallions
- 1 tbsp BBQ Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- Heat Grill or Oven to 375 Degrees F.
- Peel the carrots and wash then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Toss the carrot, garlic cloves and chopped scallions (white parts only) with oil and BBQ dry rub then spread out the carrots in a large cast iron skillet.
- Roast the carrots for about 45 minutes tossing and flipping occasionally
- Whisk together honey and hot sauce, set aside
- Use a toothpick to poke and test for tenderness. Once tender brush with spicy honey mixture
- Let the honey cook on the carrots for about 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green scallions (optional)