This is one of those recipes that you can throw on the smoker with a bunch of meats that will take a long time and give you something to snack on while everything else cooks.
Smoked Bologna Really only needs about 90 minutes to 2 hours to smoked because its already cooked.
You can enjoy smoked bologna sliced on sandwiches or as you can see here served on crackers with pimento cheese and spicy mustard.
How To Make Smoked Bologna
The process is very simple for smoked bologna. I start off by scoring the bologna about every half inch, making cuts just deep enough to pierce the outside but no more than that.
After making the cuts in both directions creating that cross hatch pattern i like to brush a light coating of yellow ballpark mustard on all sides just to help the rub stick to the bologna
You can season it with any dry rub you like then place it on the smoker at 225 for about 2 hours until the bologna has a deep mahogany exterior.
Slicing the Bologna.
By making that cross cut pattern before smoking you actually already have the lines pre cut for slicing. You can just slice the bologna along the cuts you already made and then slice into half moon shapes if desired.
The bologna will have a perfectly warmed center with a smoky crust on the outside making it the perfect bbq smack.
I prefer these smaller 2.5 inch thick bolognas over the big sandwich size because they cook more evenly and to me have better flavor and texture.
Serving the Smoked Bologna
As I mentioned before, I like to serve my smoked bologna sliced on top of a cracker with some pimento cheese or mustard. You can serve pickles and cheese on the side kinda like a Hillbilly Charcuterie Board.
These smaller bologna rings are great for making sliders with sweet hawiaiin style rolls...perfect for tailgates and cookouts.
Smoked Bologna Recipe
1 ring Beef Bologna (about 1 lb)
1 tbsp Yellow Ballpark Mustard
1 tbsp BBQ Dry Rub
- Remove bologna from packaging and peel off any outer casing if it has it.
- Make slits in a cross cut pattern about every half inch on both sides of the bologna
- Brush mustard on the bologna on all sides then season with bbq dry rub.
- Blace bologna on the smoker set for 225 degrees F.
- Spray after 1 hour with cooking spray to help the crust form on the outside.
- Once bologna reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. you can remove it from the smoker. (about 2 hours total cook time)
- Slice bologna into ½ inch slices along the cuts you already made and serve.